occurs when you do not have enough money in your account to cover a transaction but we pay it anyway. We can cover your overdrafts in two different ways:
- We have standard overdraft practices that come with your account.
- We also offer overdraft protection plans, such as a link to a savings account or line of credit, which may be less expensive than our standard overdraft practices. To learn more, ask us about these plans.
This notice explains our standard overdraft practices.
What are the standard overdraft practices that come with my account?
We do authorize and pay overdrafts for the following types of transactions:
- Checks and other transactions made using your checking account number
- Certain ACH transactions
- Automatic bill payments
We do not authorize and pay overdrafts for the following types of transactions unless you ask us to (see below):
- ATM transactions
- Everyday debit card transactions
We pay overdrafts at our discretion, which means we do not guarantee that we will always authorize and pay any type of transaction.
If we do not authorize and pay an overdraft, your transaction will be declined.
What fees will I be charged if Comerica Bank pays my overdraft?
Under our standard overdraft practices:
- We will charge you a fee of up to $37 each time we pay an overdraft. We will not charge you more than 5 such fees per day.
- If your account remains overdrawn for 5 or more consecutive business days, we will charge an additional fee of $6 per day. This fee will continue for 5 consecutive business days or until the account is brought into a positive balance, whichever is first. Your account status is determined at the close of our processing day. This additional $6 fee does not apply to Executive Signature accounts.
What if I want Comerica Bank to authorize and pay overdrafts on my ATM and everyday debit card transactions?
If you are an existing Comerica customer, you have two options:
1. Call Comerica at:
2. Visit your local banking center.
If you are an Online Account Opening applicant, you can confirm your participation by marking your decision to participate for your account(s) listed on the next screen.