As a successful business owner, you’ve worked hard to reach your goals. You owe it to yourself and your family to protect your investment. Let Comerica Insurance Services help you put together a plan that covers your business—and your family— in the event of your death or disability. With a properly structured and funded buy-sell agreement, you can plan for a smooth and equitable transition of ownership and help protect your family’s financial future.
Understanding buy-sell agreements
A buy-sell agreement is a contract among business owners. At the loss of an owner, the business interest is transferred according to the terms of this contract. The other owner or owners are obligated to sell at a pre-determined price or formula.
- May be of business operating worries and guaranteed to receive a benefit under a predetermined price or formula
- Could avoid some of the delays associated with probate
- May be relieved of successor management issues (which could devalue the business)
- May not have to deal with new (and possibly unwanted) partners
- May know the predetermined purchase price or formula of the business
- May receive significant capital gains tax reductions through properly designed and life-insurance-funded buy-sell agreements
- May be able to eliminate significant amounts of corporate debt by utilizing a buy-sell agreement
For more information, call 800.713.0336.